Rat-Look Logo

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Post subject: Suzuki Vitara (updated 19/05/2016)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:43 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Vehicle: '99 Zuki Vitara
Decided to make a new thread as the old one was a bit cluttered and she's gone through a few changes since starting it. Apologies if this is frowned upon, feel free to merge if needs be!

As is usual with me I was getting a bit bored of her current look so decided to tone it all down a bit and go for a more 'stealthy' look.

This is how she stands atm

interior respray, looks much smarter now :)

Been trying to get to the source of a strange grinding noise which has been emanating from the O/S hub for a while now. First thought was that the bearing had gone but after further inspection it seems there is some sort of ratchet (?) type thing within the free wheeling hub that connects the wheel to the driveshaft. Basically it seems that it isn't doing its job and is letting the wheel slip free from the shaft, effectively leaving me with 3 wheel drive lol. Hopefully it's just a case of stripping the FWH, cleaning it all out and putting it back on. Just gotta get the bastard off now. Seized bolts seem to be a theme on this thing :o

I'm tempted to go back to a post apocalyptic sort of look at some point. Gonna stick a shovel on the bonnet and I may have a few freebies lined up from a mate in the Defence School of Transport :D jerry cans, recovery gear, that kinda thing. Maybe add some window and light guards too.
On a side note, anyone know where to get cheap checkerplate?

Last edited by Locksley on Thu May 19, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Suzuki Vitara part deux ;)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:54 am 
RL Regular
RL Regular

Vehicle: 95 k11 micra
maybe like a stolen umbrella corp car look?

as for cheap checkerplate not sure bud :/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:36 pm 
RL Member
RL Member

Vehicle: Golf TD Wagon
I could do with some checkerd plate. Going to do the lower part of my doors XD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:28 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Looked all over the place for it but it's all rather expensive. Only place I can think of is B&Q do small sheets of it which might be alright.

Managed to get that bastarding hub off, turned out to be a piece of piss with a decent Chrome Vanadium hex key. Got it all stripped, degreased and painted up, much easier than I expected tbh. Came to put it back together, got it all greased up just to find that part of it has basically broke. The whole mechanism is actuated by some crappy little plastic bits, when you turn the hub to lock, there are 3 tiny little plastic nubs which turn everything inside to lock the gear. 2 of those nubs have worn down simply from putting it back together. Whichever douchenozzle decided it was a good idea to make those parts from plastic needs shooting. It is a common problem though and part of the reason why they are considered to be shite. Gonna have to fork out for a decent set of new aftermarket ones, looking at the wrong side of £120 at a minimum for new ones :S oh well, they have been on my list of things to replace for a while as they've never been very good. Having found out how they work I'm doubtful the other one is engaging and disengaging properly either, so I've either got permanent 2 wheel drive or 3 wheel drive haha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:42 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Found this place for treadplate, much cheaper than everywhere else, no problem with offcuts. Might have to treat myself to some soon.

www.alcoeng.co.uk/material-stockholding ... te-offcuts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:13 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Little update on the Vit :)

She's since had a new clutch after I burnt the old one out at Frickley off road (see pic above) but had a whale of a time doing it lol.

And she's currently awaiting a new alternator after the old one thought xmas day would be a nice time to die leaving me and the 'rents stranded on a freezing cold Shell forecourt for 4 hours while the AA tried to get a recovery truck to us...

You can also see the few other things I've done including:

>Painting the roof black. I used Plasticote Direct to Plastic paint for this I think, it's actually lasted brilliantly, did it a good few months ago. Looks much better than white imo.
>B&Q Finest shovel mounted to the bonnet.
>Front spots I got off a mate who was breaking another Vit for the grand sum of a fiver. Yep they do work too.
>Air Horns :D unfortunately I haven't had much luck with these due to dodgy relays and blown fuses :( They do look nice though :)
>US license plates. Well why not :p
>Some more 'artwork' down the offside, meant to look a bit like a Japanese WWII fighter. You can just about make it out under the mud :D
>And some THRLL decals

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 am 
RL Newbie
RL Newbie

Vehicle: Citroen Xsara Break 1.4 (1999)
soo cool!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:50 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

sunblock wrote:
soo cool!

Cheers matey :D

Got the new alternator fitted with the invaluable help from a mate who actually know's what he's doing.

AA came and jumped me this morning, all working as new :) yay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:46 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Vehicle: Skoda Octavia vRS
Love the Umbrella logo - is that sprayed on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:38 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Break downs become the norm if your offroading.

Id recommend getting a 2nd starter motor and taking it with you on a offroad/greenlaning day. I swopped my two loads of times. Once home I could then just take them apart and cleaning them out.
One time I was on a 200 mile trip to Santa Pod and and the starter gave up. Took me a total of 15mins to swop them around.

Have fun

Unless you've put your own blood, sweet and tears on it, you wont truly enjoy and own your car(s)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Castle wrote:
Love the Umbrella logo - is that sprayed on?

Nah mate, vinyl decal, only £9 off ebay, the writing is reflective too

Lil Monster wrote:
Break downs become the norm if your offroading.

Id recommend getting a 2nd starter motor and taking it with you on a offroad/greenlaning day. I swopped my two loads of times. Once home I could then just take them apart and cleaning them out.
One time I was on a 200 mile trip to Santa Pod and and the starter gave up. Took me a total of 15mins to swop them around.

Have fun

That is a very good idea. I think I'm lucky that in the nearly 2 years I've had it only 2 things have broke lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:10 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Got some nice cheapo LED strips for the footwells. Only £1.92 for a 1.5ft strip. Just spliced into the ciggy lighter light circuit so they come one with the interior/dash lights :)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:51 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Blimey, been a while since I updated this thread. Made a few changes over the last couple of years, although not a massive amount.

She was briefly painted Desert Sand but looked a bit shit so I repainted into Matt Black again.

Brand new Monsoon soft top, much needed replacement. Sooo much better.

New set of General Grabber AT2s, still not had a proper chance to try them out though.

I also got rid of most of the graphics on it, although it does still have the shark mouth on the drivers side.

Oh I also managed to get some Chevy Tracker badges off eBay too, as you can see from the pic.

I'm at the point now where I doubt I'll make any big changes again, I've done most of the cosmetic things I wanted to do.

Post subject: Re: Suzuki Vitara (updated 19/05/2016)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:43 pm 
RL Newbie
RL Newbie

i have just bought a suski jimny, and i was wondering if anyone on here could help me with photoshop if i send them the car and images to where i want them to go as i dont have photoshop,
i plan to have a coffin roofbox and the theme will be creature skateboards if anyone knows them? google it they are rad..
thanks in advance
axe

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:49 pm