Rat-Look Logo

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Old Rusty '86
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:53 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

well just agreed on a price for an ABF (2.0L 16v) engine with kjet. So guess I'm doing the conversion. :P

Unless you've put your own blood, sweet and tears on it, you wont truly enjoy and own your car(s)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:58 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Well Ive finally gone into winter mode. Took my 14R G60s off, put my 15R MIMs back on and jacket it up 5mm so its about 3cm higher off the ground. It looks awful.

Also just took a closer look at the G60s and discovered my toyo tyres are now illegal after 4 months daily driving and the camber even with running on 20psi.

Unless you've put your own blood, sweet and tears on it, you wont truly enjoy and own your car(s)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:02 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Vehicle: MK1 Caddy, 1976 hippy van
Loving the truck man quality camber and trick with the exhaust :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:34 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

just read this thread nice caddy and still looks sick in winter mode

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:39 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Cheers guys.

Update:
Was driving along the m4 friday rush hour and started smelling a burning rubber smell and engine started jumping. So once I got to abit with lighting I decided to take a look on the hard shoulder. Found water pissing out of a radiator hose and no water in the tank! Thought I was in for a long night of waiting for recovery until a friend rang and asked if I had any tape or cloth I could do a repair with just to get me off the motorway.
20 mins later I had a pipe wrapped in nylon string and filled up with water from puddles. Made it the 10 miles home with no loose of water!

(yes it looks dodgy).

Spent this afternoon doing the repairs, New pipe, 2x radiator flushes, cam belt tensioner and fuel pump.

Now its running sweet for the first time in a month and should last the rest of the month before tax and insurance runs out and its taken off the road.
Thats it for now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:58 pm 
RL Member
RL Member

Vehicle: Golf TD Wagon
Looks very dodgy :s......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:30 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Update:
Still haven't found a local engine yet but started work collecting parts needed.
- mk3 golf servo and master cylinder,
- mk2 coil
- Electric fuel pump.

Also dropped my engine down and out from its hole its been sitting in for about 27 years.

Now to clean up all the oil from the bay and loose the servo and master cylinder.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

long time no update.
Cleaned 95% of the engine bay with oven cleaner and a cloth.

Modified the bigger mk3 golf 16v servo and master cylinder to fit the mk1 brake arm and fitted.
Almost completed the new copper brake lines front and back so now use 2 master cylinder inlets instead of 4 plus the brake switch (which will be moved to the brake pedal using a mk3 switch and a DIY bracket.

Also got delivered some clear lacquer so once the brakes are done I can roll it out, give it a clean and then treat and re-lacquer the parts of surface rust that have gone too far.

That is all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 pm 
RL Member
RL Member

Vehicle: 1983 golf cl, GF's MK2
How easy is it to make brake lines ?
Good progress man

Harold: the MK2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10467

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:06 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

the hardest part is removing the old brake lines without rounding the nuts as theyve been on our vws 25+ years.
Copper line is easy to bend just hard to make two lines look the same as you cant do it out of the bay as it has to go through and around bits.
And you need a flaring tool. Im borrowing mine. Took me about 10 hours including removing old lines and rounding 3 of the 8 nuts I removed.

I used 10 metres of line. Ebay Linky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 am 
RL Member
RL Member

Aahh i see, i may or may not have to do brake lines i'm not sure, we shall see. Keep upmthe good work man :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:45 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

I would put a bigger servo and master cylinder if I were you. really think your 1.1 brakes will stop a newer 2.6 engine?
You should join Berkshire mk1's on Facebook. We have people all over the country on there. All nice chaps and answer any questions quickly. A few have done the vr6 conversion too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 pm 
RL Member
RL Member

I shall have a look :)
And just to be pedantic.... 1.3 to 2.8 :p hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

I've just turned up on the Facebook golf mk1 fan page! :D I was snapped at BugJam last year.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151335683073877&set=a.10150160366528877.290462.46388173876&type=3&theater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Im still waiting for more funds to buy a donor car however decided to experiment whilst sanding down some of the deeper rust.
I did some spots of Kurust on the raw rust before lacquering to see how it would look.

Turns out quite well adding some darker patches into the rust.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:41 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

My daily car is still giving me grief and needs ANOTHER rebuilt engine so funds cant stretch to my caddy engine yet and unlike to now until the summer. Very disappointed as I was hoping to do a few more VW shows with Berkshire Mk1 Golfs this summer.

ANYWAY my experiments with paint and kurust are continuing, yet my explanations probably wont make sense and will hardly by noticeable to others.

I should of taken off the excess liquid whilst it was still wet. I just spend some time with T-cut taking it off now its hardened, this is to merge in the patches but I'm pretty pleased with some of the results.
The Kurust has turned some of the deeper patches black yet leaving the flatter rust and none kurust parts "clean".

The painting parts are still in progress but will layer similar to the bonnet. Im going to try a door embalm yet with a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm 
RL Member
RL Member

Vehicle: Golf TD Wagon
Wow! Hoping to rust me bonnet and I am also hoping in getting it that dark. May have to pinch Krust idea XD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:58 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

SaTaN_eAt_ChEeSe wrote:
Wow! Hoping to rust me bonnet and I am also hoping in getting it that dark. May have to pinch Krust idea XD

dirty engine oil would work better tbh, but I want to lacquer it which wouldn't work with oil. So depends on the result your going for.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:19 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

so update of paint being added (then taken away)
This is one of the front fenders, I'm pretty pleased with it now as it merges in nicely with the lower paint work. What do you lot think?

And this is the fake original door embalm in progress:
Ive decided this is going to have to be sanded in by hand so not to loose too much of the lettering. This will be done next saturday.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:17 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

well I got impatient and rubbed it down today. Not exactly how I imagined it but I didn't give myself much of a white boarder to play with and the T looks wonky after sanding.

This is a better shot of the different layers I added along the way to give it some depth.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:56 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

so making some progress with the engine now.
The engine that I mentioned at the top of this page has become available again.
I also checked (with a well known electronics guy in the vw world) the loom slicing situation and have been told a certain mk2 golf loom works, doesn't need any plugs changing and only needs to be shortened. So Im picking a loom up from someone tomorrow whilst at Dubs In The Park.

Also the paint work is rusting up nicely. Need to pull the car out the garage now, clean it ready for a total lacquer renewal.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:17 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

WARNING do not use UPOL clear coat lacquer with hammerite paint!

I tried to lacquer the bonnet tonight and started to wonder why the it was turning white and hardening really quick. The lacquer had started to pull and mix with the white hammerite and now my black VW symbol has white lacquer brush marks all over it :sadness
So Ive now got to let it dry solid and go at it gentle with sand paper.

Ive now gone back to my raw linseed oil as a lacquer, problem being it takes days to dry picking up dust and dirt as it does.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm