Rat-Look Logo

It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:58 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Old Rusty '86
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:32 pm 
RL Member
RL Member

Vehicle: Golf TD Wagon
Aww shit! That's a bstrd. Hope you sort it. Does not look too bad to me. Love how the paint on the wing goes from paint to rust. Looks schweet XD

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:12 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

I have now lacquered the lower half of the car with UPOL and am very impressed with how fast its dried, with little run marks. Im going to do a couple more layers along the bottom then do the whole car with a layer.

The kurust patches have come up a treat now with it all looking shiny - really adds to what was a universal rust colour. Ill get some pics up tomorrow,

Unless you've put your own blood, sweet and tears on it, you wont truly enjoy and own your car(s)

Last edited by Lil Monster on Mon May 27, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:02 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Hammerite doesn't like lacquer. Ended up bubbling around the edges and if sanded back just kept pealing, so the door thing has gone. :doh Not sure I liked it though.

Think Ive managed to save the front panels.

Unless you've put your own blood, sweet and tears on it, you wont truly enjoy and own your car(s)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:10 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Pretty rusting

Now have the bonnet and front panels covered in 8+ coats Halfords Fuel Resistant Lacquer and testing abit to see if its UPOL Lacquer resistant. If it is full steam ahead with the full body clear coat. If not Ill have to mask off bits :doh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:05 pm 
Established RL Member
Established RL Member

Vehicle: B4 Passrat wagon
Lil Monster wrote:
so 4 layers of paint and a few hours later i have this.

:tu

I hadn't seen this, looks great pal.

(Not what i was getting at, yours is your own design.. i mean't the ones that are the same as my rusty logo draped over the corner idea) :gheyer

http://www.facebook.com/#!/Shaggy1981
@NatHolloway on Instagram

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:05 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Ok No worries Nat. I hadn't seen yours either before I did it and was surprised when I went looking into other people rides. I think your looks better but wouldn't work on mine.

Started painting the engine bay tonight, but its going to take ages and Im just dripping paint over everything. :sadness
Also engine is coming soon!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:38 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

(dodgy phone) PICTURES!

Engine arrived Saturday evening, I then swopped one of the engine mounts for one I wanted and left it for the night

Sunday I sliced my hands up changing the old clutch to my 020 compatible clutch and fitted the gearbox

Then realised Id never get it in alone with the gearbox on so took it off again. Then spent 6 hours dropping the engine in, refitting the gearbox, lining up the engine mounts, fit the brake master cylinder and then went for a beer.

Tonight Ive temp fitted the radiator, cut up the original engine radiator pipes to fit the space between the engine and my radiator, fitted the alternator and a few other water pipes.

Ive also order new inner CV bolts and a 90 degree dizzy cap as my brake fluid reservoir doesn't fit on as it is.

Also collecting a few bits tomorrow from the guys that forgot to bring down with the engine.

:hibai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:24 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

So the past week Ive been spending my evenings labelling and fitting the engine loom, after market fuel pump and mk2 golf coil.

Saturday I then spent the day plugging in the loom and ecu, bolted up the drive shafts and checked all the engine bolts were tight ready for a first start up.

However I realised I was missing some fuse box parts (ISV control unit ecu mounting bracket and tcih box) so wouldn't get a spark or fuel pump working. So will be picking those parts up tomorrow evening so maybe firing it up by wednesday. Its going to be loud as I have no exhaust manifold yet but am well excited. :chill

Then it will be cutting down loosing almost 3 foot off the loom and soldering it back up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:16 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Update:
Almost there now. Exhaust manifold, a few pipes and then certificates to get it back on the road. Boom!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:19 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Just watched the video and it sounded great over the X Factor :tu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:21 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

tbh I still cant believe thats my car in the video. Considering it hasn't had a running engine since Christmas 2012, Ive done all the fitting on my own which Ive never attempted before, apart from working out the ECU was knackered and the timing done today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:59 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

You need a built not bought sticker for on top of the engine :tu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:47 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

progress.

As I can't afford a £300 for a shiny 4-1 branch down pipe Ive been busy over the past few weeks buying a mk2 golf down pipe, cutting it up and building a custom one to fit my engine/car.
Most of the sections are gaffe taped together but Ive also been learning to weld using my works ARC welder that hasn't been touched for 4 years so have tac'd in a couple of places.

Its now ready to tac everything however I left the welder at work so this weekends wasted. :doh

Ive also had to fiddle around with the gear linkage as it was fowling the exhaust going into 1,3 and 5. So made it a short shift and turned it 45 degrees.

Attempt 1:

Attempt 2:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:32 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

I borrowed a MIG welder this evening and just finished tacking it all together.

Last edited by Lil Monster on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:24 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Vehicle: flaming volvo
very cool build, i really need to get my rotten VW welded and ratted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:28 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

The plan was for a friend to weld the rest of this up but he ended up being busy so I had a go. Then painted it in VHT paint.

Its now fitted but Im having issues with it leaking at the end that slides over my old exhaust system. So bought a new clamp and waiting for more welding wire to fill in a channel the fumes are exiting from.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:23 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Had to redo a couple of welds as they leaked but it is now air tight, painted, wrapped and fitted.

First attempt at wrapping.

So drove it out the garage for the first time in over a year. This was to burn off the new paint and smelly exhaust wrap.

Also managed to buy a 5mm reinforced sump after discovering my ali sump hits the 1.5 inch step up into my garage. :devil It wouldn't last long on the roads.

The sump needs painting and fitting but Im actually getting excited now its getting nearer completion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:16 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

I haven't updated for a while due to money, other car and women. ;)

The exhaust is now wrapped and fitted.
I then moved onto getting it timed up right and had issues with air leaks, fuel lines and stuff that was making it hunt. However think Ive got this sorted now.
Then last week I moved onto swopping the sump over. But then a loose sump bolt went into my clutch, bent the pressure plate and put oil all over the clutch. :( It took 3 hours to get the gearbox back out to look at the clutch. Waiting for a new kit now.

Then moved onto the sump which gave me loads of problems with lots of swearing, bolt shortening and a good few hours. But its now 99% on.

Next will be fitting the new clutch and refitting the gearbox. Might redo a brake line however as one joint is leaking slightly and would be easier with the gearbox out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:04 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Forgot to say. Before the clutch went I took it around my local pub car park. 1st is abit stiff to get into but I can tell its going to be quick and loud! When I put my foot down in first it just span its nuts off until I lifted off the gas. So with my steelies back on and some getting used to it should launch well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:38 am 
RL Regular
RL Regular

Vehicle: 95 k11 micra
awsome nice work
white in the engine bay makes a difference to! sucks having troubles with .. well bit of everything haha
be awsome when its back on the road :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:21 pm 
RL Regular
RL Regular

great looking caddy :tu
is the sump that much different from the original??

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:52 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Hi
No the sump is just a steel one instead of ali and has 5mm plating welded to the underside of it so it'll take a few harder hits before its punctured.

The sump issues were finally resolved after removing and refitting it about 5 times and testing. Ended up using Titanium M7 bolts used on split rims for the treaded holes.

Ive spend any hours this week trying to solve the electrical issues to get it through its MOT. It failed on 10 things. lol Needs new wheel bearings all round, new suspension ball joints and a few other bits. The engine still isn't running right but will get around to sorting those issues as i think its mainly down to earthing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:58 am