[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 700: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 700: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
RAT-LOOK.COM • View topic - Old Rusty '86
Rat-Look Logo

It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rat Rod style '86 Caddy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:45 pm 
RL Member
RL Member

Vehicle:
how the feck have i not seen u around reading lol where abouts u from in reading, also i was bidding on the roof rack u were selling lol crazy small world.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Because I don't venture in to town much, let alone in the caddy.
I live south of theale. You?
Was some battle for that rack!

Unless you've put your own blood, sweet and tears on it, you wont truly enjoy and own your car(s)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:56 pm 
RL Member
RL Member

Vehicle:
i live in woodley but venture all over berkshire etc, yh i thought the rack would go fairly cheap kept getting outbid, needed lot of work to get on my sei so couldnt justify anymore - still regrey maybe not slappin another tenner on lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:26 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Love this so much. Want those wheels :drool Whatever your doing, keep it up! :tu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:24 am 
RL Newbie
RL Newbie

feckin awsome motor :-)

Post subject: Re: '86 Caddy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:03 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

so a small no-picture update.

Worked out now after sorting the timing out I'm getting 23mpg out of it. (blood suck 2L carburettor) but will try and get the 0-60 times. :insanity

Fitted my gti wing mirror finally and now on the look out for another.
Also fitted a golf mk2 steering wheel (2 spoke) so now i have a legal working horn again!

Sometime I'm going to make some new mdf door cards as might they're are out of shape and refabricate them in some new checker.

Unless you've put your own blood, sweet and tears on it, you wont truly enjoy and own your car(s)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:07 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Did a little bit of wiring yesterday so now all that needs doing to finish the car is weld a crack, fix the reverse light wiring, nearside wing mirror, new door cards and a carpet.

Will then be how I imagined it to look and perform after buying it and Im ahead of my schedule

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:01 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

picked up some fusion 5 inch speakers to go in the new door cards that ill be making once i get some mdf. That'll take it up to 6 speakers and a sub in the cab!
Also cleaned the caddy so its nice and shiny again. My new white bits of paint are now surrounded with fresh new rust, so just need to varnish and they'll merge in perfect.
Then sorted out the sub's amp that wasnt working and fixed the front brake calliper that wasn't sliding nice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:25 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Just fitted my new lower shelving and centre console that I got for half price. It needed some diy modifying to get it to fit right but I'll be happy with it after a clean.

Got some strap brackets in the post so will be fitting them to the rear bed so I can then put things in it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:58 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

Found some nice black bolts I took out of the rear seats of an old ford ka so will be used to fit the strap brackets and should then merge in nice with the black pickup bed.
So thats my job for today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:10 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

think I'm running abit low.... :sadness

So i did a naughty thing and raised the front 5mm.

And the brackets have been put on hold until i work out a new way of fitting them. My plan failed and the other way would look stupid.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:43 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

now on the second layer of linseed oil drying on my new rusty bits.
do you lot think i should keep the bonnet raised as it currently is or lower it to standard height?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:47 pm 
RL Regular
RL Regular

saw you today, at the roundabout by cavasham bridge, i was the fat man in the 406 estate that shouted out rat look.com haha

looks awesome. i love this caddy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:26 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

I thought you were shouting "is that rat look?" :lol
You were the second person that trip to shout stuff in traffic.
Thanks for the comments, however you saw it on its good side. Smacked my NS rear wheel on a width restriction so had a 3 inch dent on the rim.

DIY fixed and painted at the moment but after the summer i think ill get them all refurbed. Possibly another colour.

Also since my last post I've relocated the fuel line with a new lead converter thingy. Also had the electrics checked over and fixed (earthing problem) and my reverse lights sorted for the MOT next month.

Next job is fit the NS GTI wing mirror and make new door cards out of Marine plywood and then find some new chequer material to cover them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:34 am 
RL Regular
RL Regular

ouch lol get the permanent markers out.

yeah im used to people shouting in traffic when im in the civic. not happened for a while though. your the first member ive seen on the road.

Post subject: Re: Old Rosy '86
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:43 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

right, suppose i could give an update.
Sorted out the dent in the wheel with some mole grips and hammerite black paint, so its not as noticeable.
My dailys died (lost a cylinder and killed the ecu in the process) so I'm currently running the caddy 60 miles a day to work. :doh Interesting with with the african style roads in Berkshire and the 23mpg I get.

So for the near future...
The rat in the back is going this weekend along with the cross on the bonnet that I've never really liked. Im going to try carefully sanding just the cross away to keep the white, then do a rough looking VW symbol in its place.
Im going to re-paint the pickup bed as after bug jam and some fooling around its all scratched up:

And once I'm in the proper daily again I'm going to sand back so of the surface rust on the bottom half of the car as it looks like its "growing' and wasn't sealed in properly, then re-lacquer the whole car again.

Post subject: Re: Old Rosy '86
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:52 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

after an hour with the mouse sander! the old paint wasn't acting dry so kept going into balls and sticking to the sand paper?!

Because of my plans it won't be completely finished until next weekend as the paints got to be solid before the final phase.

Last edited by Lil Monster on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Old Rusty '86
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:52 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

so 4 layers of paint and a few hours later i have this.

Last edited by Lil Monster on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:33 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

So.. the bonnets rusting in nicely now, replaced the crank case gasket as it was leaking a lot and now working out the possible plans for over the winter months. Ive got 2 big projects which will be either/or:
1. get the windows out and weld up the holes around the windows that are letting in the rain.
2. More POWER!! :wahhh An ABF 2.0 16v out of a mk3 golf GTI, mated with my mk1 GTI gearbox with limited slip diff. So I'm currently: 1.6L (55 kW; 74 hp). After: 2.0L 16v (110 kW/148 hp)

Thats all im saying for the moment. :hibai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:26 pm 
RL Poster
RL Poster

right, Rats gone from the back, wire bushed any loose flaky paint and turns out alot of rust. :( Had some KuRust kicking about so gave it the treatment (doubt it'll work) and gave it a couple layers of Hamerrite; a mix of blue and black as I didnt have enough black to do the lot. But will do until next weekend when I can do the whole lot in one go.
No pics.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:53 pm 
RL Member
RL Member

Vehicle:
Grab some POR15 (if you can get it here) Expensive, but it converts rust really well, and it's as hard as baked on baby shit.
Basically painted my van with it to stop it falling apart :D

Also that asphalt body deadener stuff works well in load areas...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:20 am 
RL Poster
RL Poster

So its been a while.
Not much of an update really but Im still using the caddy as a daily. Still got oil pushing out the oil filler cap, it spluttering died at lights and random skipping a beat; so really surprised its lasted this long.
I still cant decided whether to go for an ABF engine swop or refurbish what Ive got. both have pro's and con's.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:00 pm